The tax code has grown... a lot.
- 272: the number of words in the Gettysburg Address.
- 1337: the number of words in the Declaration of Independence.
- 9337: the number of words in the first tax law, with 10,000 sections in the tax code as of 2021.
- 4,000: the number of times the tax code has been revised or amended in the past 10 years.
- 167,000,000: the number of calls the IRS received from people confused about their taxes in 2021.
Complying with the tax code takes a lot of time, money, and effort.
- 6,500,000,000: Number of hours Americans spend calculating their taxes each year.
- If tax compliance were a company, 3,000,000+ people would have to be employed there full time.
- 27% of people hired a professional tax preparer in 2021.
- 78,661: full time employees at the IRS in 2021.
- Totaled up our efforts to comply with the tax code, cost $249,000,000,000 or $748 for every man, woman, and child in the country.
The bulk of the tax burden falls on a small percentage of the population.
- 167,915,264: Number of individual income tax returns in the 2021 tax year
- $2.04 trillion in federal individual income taxes were collected in the 2021 tax year.
- The top 50% of all taxpayers paid 97% of all individual income taxes.
"Anyone may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible. There is not a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes."
- Learned Hand, US District Court Judge.
If you think you're paying too much, call today and speak with a professional!